EPA’s Emerging Journalist Award recognizes young journalists excelling in their careers. Awards are available for both writing/editing and visual arts.
Nominations are accepted annually through February 28, with the recipients announced at the following annual convention. Nominations may be submitted by publications for eligible individuals on staff. Freelancers are also eligible to enter.
A panel of three judges reviews the nominations and chooses the award recipients.
The submission deadline is February 28.
Criteria for nominations
- Age 35 or younger
- Two categories
- Emerging Journalist Award — for editors and writers
- Emerging Visual Artist Award — for designers and photojournalists
- Employed by or frequent contributor to an EPA member publication
- Minimum of two years in the profession
- Nomination letter from the editor or other managerial person, including a bio of journalistic achievement and why this person stands out from their peers
- Freelancers are welcome to apply and submit a personal bio of journalistic achievement, along with a professional reference letter
- Three examples of published articles/photos/designs